Welcome

Join me as I travel my creative road. Understanding how important it is to document the works we create, I plan on using this blog to do just that, with thoughts, processes and photos. I would enjoy sharing your creative road with you too, so please share your thoughts in return.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Prodding

Being exposed to Proddy flowers and adding the technique into hooked pieces through member of the Tin Pedlars got me exploring farther. Gene Shepherd's book found it's way into the house. I also did a bit of research online.

It was time to see what I had on hand that could be adapted for making a more traditional Proddy rug. I wanted to work from the back so I needed a prodding tool and frame.
The tool was easy - dowel and wooden chair leg (ball style).
The frame - adapted an old needlepoint frame where you roll the work up.

Time to hand cut a pile of heavy wool - using up more of the braiding wool from my mother. Another good use for my quilter's rotary cutter.

February 2010 - The beginning of my frist proddy rug. Using wool (2-1/2" x 3/4") left from a braided rug my mom was starting and never finished. Prodding so self binding. This is the back side.......


... front side of Proddy rug under process.......


Working on some of the scottish burlap left after I switched to linen for my rugs. Design is simple circles. 

This is going to take a while as I'm prodding in each section of wool and must say it's a bit tough on the hand - takes a bit of effort. 
Once done will be very comfy under the feet at the kitchen sink.



No comments:

Post a Comment